Welcome !

Welcome !

Monday, August 26, 2019

Sequence of Tenses, Exercise 1


           
SEQUENCE OF TENSES – CONCORDANTA TIMPURILOR

Choose the correct answer:

1. “Well, I was just browsing / I just browsed some photo albums when I started / I was starting to remember our former classmates.”

2. “Oh, how nice! Did you laugh / Were you laughing when you saw our childish faces?”

3. “Not really. Some of us look the same. For example Damian… He has already divorced / had already divorced when I talked to him.”

4. “What happened? He is / is being one of the most intelligent boys.”

5. “Just his luck… When I met / meet him, he was applying for a position in a foreign company.”

6. “What about Alice? She married / had married by the time we graduated high-school.”

7. “I know. She has a company with her husband now. They were celebrating / celebrated her birthday at Miriam’s restaurant when I accidentally came across / was coming across them.

8. “Donna, I’m awfully sorry! I would absolutely like to chat with you, but I baked / was baking some cookies for a while when you called…”

9.”You Did you read / Have you read `Think and grow rich`?

10. “Not yet. I mean I started reading it five months ago, but I didn`t finish / haven`t finished it.”
11. “Do you mean you have been reading / have read it for a few months?”
12. “Well, not exactly. Meanwhile, I read / have read other books, too. I always liked Anthony Robbins. In fact I sent / have sent him an email. I waited / have been waiting for his answer since then.”
13. ”I see. Well, it seems that you were / have been very busy lately.

14. “How many times a week you do you see / are you seeing your grandparents?”

15. “I don`t see / I`m not seeing them very often .”

16. “Did you see / have you seen them today?

17. “No, not today. Today I had / I have had an appointment with my lawyer.”

18. I will stay here until the rain stops / will stop.

19. It`s time you stopped / have stopped feeling sorry for yourself / yourselves.

20. He hoped that he may / might get another chance. 

21. She plays the violin as if her life depends / depended on it.

22. She said she broke / was breaking the plate when she washed / was washing it.

23. They said that the Earth is / was round.

24.  He said he would come to see me after he finished / had finished work.

25. I will have finished studying / will finish studying by the time you come home.

26. She will go to England after she got / has got a visa.

27. Last year I worked more than I did / have done this year.

28. She promised / has promised her mother that she will help her.

29. I thought he would come if he has / had time.

30. He thought she has already come / she had already come.

31. I insist that you write / should write more carefully.

32. It is strange that he should not have accepted / should accept your invitation yesterday.

33. It was necessary that he act / should act like that.

34. John said that he would come when he could / can.

35. I was writing / wrote a letter when Tom was calling me up / called me up.

36. Father adviced / advised us not to go there / to not go there.

37. They found / were finding the book after you left / had left.

Translate into Romanian:

He should go now.                  
He must go now                              
He would go now…
He might go now.                   
He could go now.                             
He may go now.
He must go now.                     
He has to go now                            
He will go now.