Welcome !

Welcome !

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Modal Verbs, explanations and exercises



MODAL VERBS - OBLIGATIONS AND PROHIBITIONS

When we want o express permission, responsibilities, obligation or prohibition we use modal verbs .

HAVE TO AND MUST are used to express obligation.

DON’T HAVE TO is used to express that something is not required / external obligation
MUSTN’T is used to express prohibition

MUST
MUST and MUSTN’T are the same for all persons¢ 

We use MUST when we think it is important to do an action or we give people¢ orders. 
You MUST be home by eleven
She MUST tidy up her room every day
We use MUST when the obligation comes from¢ the speaker. 
I must go to the doctor, I don’t feel well.
I must have my homework ready tonight
I must stop smoking.                                                       

HAVE TO 
We use HAVE TO when the obligation comes¢ from someone else, not the speaker; for an action that is necessary because of rules.
We HAVE TO be at the airport three hours before the flight leaves. 
At work I HAVE TO wear a uniform
My father HAS TO pay the rent every month.

MUSTN`T
MUSTN’T is used to say that something is against the rules or against the law.
You MUSTN’T smoke at school. 
You MUSTN’T use your telephone on a plane.


EXERCISES
Choose the correct modal verb to fill in the spaces in blank. 

1. You _____ come to the meeting, but it will be nice if you are there. (mustn’t- don’t have to) 

2. You ______ start saving money if you want to retire in a few years. (must- have to) 

3. We _________ to visit the doctor every year because the Social Security requires it. (must- have to) 

4. I ______ call my dad every day. (must- have to)

5. My brother _______ wear a tie at work, I do. (mustn’t – doesn’t have to) 

6. You _____ eat healthier and stop smoking, you will feel better. (must have to) 

7. I _____ study tonight, my exam is tomorrow. (must- have to)

8. People ______ drink and drive cars. It is prohibited (mustn’t - don’t have to)

9. John can’t come because he ____ work tomorrow. (must- has to)        

10.We _______ speak when the teacher is speaking. (mustn’t- don’t have to) 

11. I can hear you. You _______ shout. (mustn’t - don’t have to) 

12. She has a big problem. We ______ help her. (must- have to)

13. You ______ send a document without reading it first. (mustn’t – don’t have to)

Choose have to / has to or don't have to / doesn't have to.

1. Every man ………… do military service in my country. It's obligatory.

2. When do we ………… pay for the next term?

3. Policemen ………… wear a uniform.

4. A pilot ……….. train for many years.

5. Does Susan ………… work long hours?

6. I …………. get up early on Sundays. I can stay in bed.

7. You have ………….. a visa to come to Ukraine.

8. You …. to do it if you don't want to. 

9. My daughter ….. to cook, because I cook for the whole family. 

10. We ….pay. It's free.