Welcome !

Welcome !

Sunday, September 3, 2023

Verb Tenses, Test 12

 


Choose the correct verb tense:

They finished the house after they had been building / were building it for a year.

She didn't eat anything because she had / had had lunch.

He told her that he saw / had seen her before.
He was so exhausted because he cut / had been cutting the grass all day.

They landed when the storm ended / had ended.

He was so dirty because he had digged / had been digging the hole in the rain.

They accepted my offer after they refused / had been refusing it for a month.

I forgot that I want / wanted to buy some bread.

She knew that because someone told / had told her before.

It was so hot in the kitchen because Sue baked / had been baking cakes.

I had to have a break. I had been driving / have been driving so long.

Before we parked our car we collected / had collected the ticket.

I arrived on Sunday. I was not / had not been at home for two days.

The roads were blocked in the morning. It was snowing / had been snowing all night.

They got to the beach after they had walked / had been walking for hours.

She called the police when she saw / had seen the light in the hall.

His English was perfect. He studied / had been studying it since he started school.

I was really hungry. I did not eat / had not eaten anything since the morning.

She didn't go to work because she broke / had broken her leg.

As soon as Betty had opened the door, the burglar had rushed out / rushed out.

After he has finished / had finished his drink he got up.

He had an accident as he drove / had been driving too fast.

The show started when everyone sat down / had sat down.

The snow disappeared because it was / had been 5°C.

After she had switched on the radio she had heard / heard the news.

The ship landed in Nice after it sailed / had been sailing for two days.

At 3 o'clock he had moved / had been moving furniture for 6 hours.

Ben apologized that he made / had made a mistake.

I didn't want to read the book again because I read / had read it.

They were hungry because they had swum / had been swimming all day.

We sold our new house after we bought / had bought a new one.

The road was blocked because a tree had been falling / had fallen on it.

The street was icy in the morning as it had frozen / had been freezing all night.

I was full of energy because I had been having / had had big lunch.

Had you ever slept / Did you ever sleep in a tent before your holiday in Italy?

There was no egg left. How many eggs had you been cooking / had you cooked?

I'd been calling /I`d called Jane five times before she picked up the phone.

We had repaired / had been repairing the car for an hour when John appeared.

She had done / had been doing yoga for 40 years by the time she retired.

In 2016 I had gone / had been going to France for five years.

I didn't give up even if I had been failing / had failed so many times.

The teacher was angry with us because we didn`t do / hadn`t done our homework.

She had been lying so much in the sun that her skin had turned / turned red.