Welcome !

Welcome !

Saturday, June 4, 2022

Direct - Indirect Speech, Exercise 1

     



DIRECT – INDIRECT SPEECH

Choose the correct answer:

1. Rosa asked Joe, "Have you been studying English very long?"

Rosa asked Joe when do you study English.
Rosa asked Joe if he had studied English.
Rosa asked Joe if he had been studying English very long.
Rosa asked Joe if he was studying English very long.

2. The test is very difficult, he said.

He says that the test was very difficult.
He said that the test is very difficult.
He said that the test was very difficult.
He said that the tests was very difficult.

3. Tom said, 'I want to visit my friends this weekend.'

Tom said he wants to visit his friends that weekend.
Tom said he wanted to visit his friends that weekend.
Tom said he wanted to visit his friends this weekend.
Tom said he had wanted to visit his friends this weekend.

4. Jerry said, 'I'm studying English a lot at the moment.'

Jerry said he was studying English a lot at that moment.
Jerry said he was studying English a lot at the moment.
Jerry said I was studying English a lot at that moment.
Jerry says he was studying English a lot at that moment.

5. They said, 'We've lived here for a long time.'

They said they have lived there for a long time.
They said they lived here for a long time.
They said they had lived there for a long time.
They said they were living there for a long time.

6. He asked me, 'Have you finished reading the newspaper?'

He asked me if had I finished reading the newspaper.
He asked me if I had finished reading the newspaper.
He asked me if I finished reading the newspaper.
He asked me if I had been finishing reading the newspaper.

7. Indirect: Clinton asked John to go with him.

Direct: Clinton said to John, “Come with me.
Direct: Clinton said to John, “Come to me.
Direct: Clinton says to John, “Come with me.
Direct: Clinton told to John, “Come with me.”

8. Indirect: Rod said to his mother that he would be late that night.

Direct: Rod said to his mother, “I will be late today night.
Direct: Rod said to his mother, “I will be late tonight.
Direct: Rod told to his mother, “I will be late today night.
Direct: Rod told his mother, “I will be late today night.”

9. Direct: “I’m fed up with this cold weather,” my grandmother said.

My grandmother complained that she was fed up with the cold weather.
My grandmother complained that she is  fed up with the cold weather.
My grandmother complains that she was fed up with the cold weather.
My grandmother complained that she would be  fed up with the cold weather.

10. Direct: `What were you doing at this time yesterday?`

He asked me what I were doing at that time yesterday.
He asked me what I was doing at this time the day before.
He asked me what I had been doing at that time yesterday.
He asked me what I had been doing at that time the day before.

11. Direct:` How long have you known your best friend?`, she asked

She asked how long had I known my best friend.
She asked to me how long I had known my best friend.
She asked me how long I had known her best friend.
She asked me how long I had known my best friend.

12. Direct: `What kind of music do you like?`, he asked 

 He asked me what kind of music I liked.
 He asked me what kind of music did I like.
 He asked me: What kind of music I liked?
 He asked me what music had I like.