Choose the correct answer:
Friday, December 27, 2013
Choose the correct answer:
Choose the correct answer:
1. I --------- 3 beers since morning.
have been drinking / drank had drunk / have drunk
2. Why are your hands dirty ?
I have fixed my computer since morning.
I had fixed my computer since morning.
I have been fixing my computer since morning.
I fixed my computer since morning.
She got home at 5 in the morning. The party should have been really good.
She got home at 5 in the morning. The party might have been really good.
She got home at 5 in the morning. The party may have been really good.
She got home at 5 in the morning. The party must have been really good.
4. It`s raining. She`d better take an umbrella if she goes out,…………………….. ?
5. First time you are here,………………….?
6. Choose the correct sentences:
It is time that the government took action.
It is time that the government has taken action.
It is time that the government had taken action.
It is about time that the government took action.
It is high time that the government has taken action.
It is high time that the government took action.
Does she mind to help him?
Do you mind helping me?
Do you mind my opening the door?
Do you mind to open the door?
Do you mind opening the window?
She doesn`t mind cooking today.
It is time for the government to take action.
7. Choose the correct sentence/s:
Hardly had he come home before the police arrived.
Hardly had he gone to bed when the bell rung.
Hardly had he start reading when somebody called her up.
Hardly had she left home when she realized that she hadn`t locked the door.
She had hardly finished reading when she noticed some smoke coming from the kitchen.
You needn`t have done that exercise. I had already done it for you.
You didn`t need to do that exercise. I had already done it for you.
Perhaps Tim has written this letter but I`m not sure. He could have written it.
Perhaps Tim has written this letter but I`m not sure. He should have written it.
Perhaps Tim has written this letter but I`m not sure. He ought to have written it.
Perhaps Tim has written this letter but I`m not sure. He may have written it.
She said she would have to stay in until the storm stopped.
She said she will have to stay in until the storm stopped.
She said she can have to stay in until the storm stopped.
She said she has to stay in until the storm stopped.
11. Choose the correct sentence/s:
She made me to laugh.
She made me laugh.
I was made to laugh.
They were made to laugh.
She was made laughing.
New information has arrived recently.
New information have arrived lately.
New information has arrive recently.
How many information have arrived recently?
How much information has arrived recently?
A number of information has arrived recently.
A number of information have arrived recently.
A lot of information has arrived recently.
The number of students was going to take a difficult exam.
The number of students were going to take a difficult exam.
12. Write the question tag [ be sure that the sentences are correct !]:
Nothing has been said,…………………
The sun hardly shone all summer,………………
Hardly had she done anything,…………………
It`s no use trying to do that,………………….
Somebody has to help them,……………….
Let the door open,……………………..
The Chinese are friendly people,………………..
Dutch is interesting,………………..
Netherlands is a nice country,…………………
Let us go downtown,…………………
Let`s go out,……………….
Bad news don`t make people happy,……………..
Bad news doesn`t make you happy,…………………..
13. Choose the correct sentence/s:
Since I last saw her, I haven`t though of anything else.
Since I last had saw her, I haven`t thought of anything else.
Since I last saw her, I haven`t thought of anything else.
Since I last saw her, I hadn`t though of anything else.
Since I last seen her, I haven`t though of anything else.
14. Is the following sentence correct?
In general, a journey is lengthier than a travel or a trip.
Try as I may / might, I can never solve this problem.
Far be it from me !
Come what may !
16. Choose the correct sentence/s:
I would like helping you but I have no time.
I would like to help you but I can`t do it right now.
It was worth doing it.
It was worth to do it.
It was worth walking in the park.
Friday, December 13, 2013
Choose the correct answer.
2. Where is John? He ---- his car in the garage.
repairs is repairing has repaired repaired
3. I love this film. I ---- it four or five times already.
see have seen had seen
4. Have you visited any European countries? – Yes. I ----
Spain and two years ago. Italy
visited have visited had visited
5. She ---- the living room when she heard a strange noise in the kitchen.
has cleaned has been cleaning was cleaning
6. I envy you. At five tomorrow you ---- some tan on a nice beach in
will get will be getting will have got will have been getting
7. You arrived two days ago. You are going to leave next Sunday. By the time you leave, you ---- nine days here.
spend have spent are spending will have spent
8. Where is he? I ---- for him since three o'clock!
am waiting have been waiting was waiting had been waiting
9. I went to
last month. I ---- there before. It's a beautiful country. Belgium
have never been had never been never was never been
10. He said that his mother would be very upset when she ---- that he had lost his job.
learns learned had learned would learn
Friday, November 29, 2013
1. I would tell you my secret, if I would trust / trusted you more.
2. He is known to be / be a very intelligent boy.
3. I wish I were / had been ten years older now.
4. His pieces of advice was / were more than welcome.
5. Who is the best / the better of the two hounds?
6. It was so / such a good play, that I was sorry when it ended.
7. I`m having my car repaired / repairing by the best mechanic I know.
8.They told me that they will / would not be late.
9. Jane wants to deal with / of her letters first.
10. Which is the cheaper / the cheapest dress of the two?
11. The trees which / who are in front of my window are all cherry trees.
12. Nothing is worse / worst than falling and breaking your leg.
13. If only we have / had some money; we could take a cab.
14. He has never been interested in / at / on my plans.
15. As it`s very late, I think you would better / should leave now.
16. Wherever / Whoever you go, you always meet English – speaking people.
17. Although / Even he was tired, he went on working.
18. You will have your lunch after you have washed / washing your hands.
19. You might have asked / would have asked me if I wanted to come with you.
20. You are a great cook! This cake tastes / is tasting wonderful!
Thursday, November 21, 2013
Underline the correct answer:
Deborah waits / is waiting patiently while Bridget books the tickets.
The shelf holds / is holding three books and a vase of flowers.
The crowd moves / is moving across the field in an attempt to see the rock star get into her helicopter.
The Stephens sisters are both very talented;
Virginia writes / is writing and Vanessa paints / is painting.
Rectangles have / are having four sides.
Canada Day takes / is taking place on July 1, the anniversary of the signing of the British North America Act.
The moon circles / is circling the earth once every 28 days.
Calcium is / is being important to the formation of strong bones.
Leonard goes / is going to The Jumping Horse Tavern every Thursday evening.
My grandmother sends/ is sending me new mittens each spring.
In fairy tales, things happen / are happening in threes.
We never finish / are finishing puzzles because the cat always eats some of the pieces.
Nora looks / is looking for the first paperback editions of all of Raymond Chandler's books.
Deirdre dusts / is dusting all the shelves on the second floor of the shop.
KPLA broadcasts / is broadcasting the hits of the 70s this evening.
The presses print / are printing the first edition of tomorrow's paper.
The doors open / are opening in 10 minutes.
The premier arrives / is arriving on Tuesday.
Classes end / are ending next week.
VERB TENSES II
The health department has decided / decided / had decided that all high school students should be immunized against meningitis.
Miriam arrived at 5:00 p.m. but Mr. Whitaker has closed / had closed the store.
After we located the restaurant that Christian has spoken / had spoken about, we ate supper there every Friday.
The heat wave has lasted / had lasted three weeks.
After she had learned to drive,
Alice feels / felt more independent.
We have been talking / had been talking about repainting the front room for three days and last night we finally bought the paint.
Madeleine has been reading / is reading / had been reading mystery novels for several years before she discovered the works of Agatha Christie.
The chef's assistant has been chopping / is chopping / had been chopping vegetables for several minutes before he realized that he had minced his apron strings.
The plumber and his assistant will have solved / is solving / are solving all the new joins in pipes before they leave for the next job.
By the time you get back from the corner store, we will have finished / will finish / are finishing writing the thank you letters.
I will have been studying / am studying / have studied Greek for three years by the end of this term.
By the end of the year, she already graduates / will have graduated / has already with a degree in business.
As soon as I get / got / will have got home, it started to rain heavily.
Don't worry. She used to live / is using to live / is used to living by herself.
He denied having done / denied have done / denied done it on purpose.
Children should entitle / should be entitle / should to be entitled to free education.
Thursday, November 7, 2013
WH - QUESTIONS
Ask questions for the underlined word/s using wh - questions, such as: what, when, why, who, whom, which, where, how,,,
1. She told us that Aunt Lizzy was coming .
2. Peter ran home after a dog bit him .
3. The Queen was welcomed by a large crowd.
4. Mum bought this dress in
5. Jenny waits for me at the bus stop every morning.
6. You are looking at my favourite sister .
7. Princess Anne will open a new hospital next week.
Tracy had talked to her teacher before she left school.
9. The water is boiling.
10. Mary could play the piano when she was a girl.
11. Molly doesn’t want to see me because I’m so impolite.
12. She didn’t sleep well in the tent.
13. Jamie spoke in a very low voice.
14. Anne has been teaching us for 5 years.
15. I like cheap clothes.
16. On Saturday the Parkers had an excellent dinner at home.
17. The girl is my cousin from
. New Zealand
18. You must call him again.
19. Maggie will call you next week.
20. I have asked Tobias for some help.
21. Harry gave me some sweets because he likes me . (2 questions)
22. We wanted to go to
last summer. Italy
23. Derek has just spoken with his boss.
24. My dad has built a wonderful garden grill.
25. We have been working since 7 o’clock.
26. Cindy must look after the baby because her mum and dad are going out tonight.
27. Tom did not wait for the late night film because he was too tired.
28. Ferry and Joe aren’t coming to the party.
29. We talked about Rita’s boyfriend for a long time.
Marion did not wait for us after school.
Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Decide whether to use Infinitive (with/without to) or Gerund.
What can we do live / living / to live a healthy life?
In our society, people spend more and more time work / to work / working.
So we often don't bother preparing / to prepare / prepare healthy meals.
In order to save time, we tend to buy / buying / buy fast food.
At fast food restaurants, we can to eat / eat / eating quite a lot without having to pay a fortune.
And children enjoy to eat / eating / eat chips and burgers and drinking lemonade and cola.
That's a problem because eating habits are hard shaking /to shake / shake.
The high amount of carbohydrates in fast food and sugary drinks is blamed for / to destabilize / destabilizing / destabilize the body's regulation of appetite.
So we keep on to want / wanting / want to eat more.
Bad eating habits result in people become / becoming / to become obese.
Obese people risk suffer / to suffer / suffering from heart diseases.
We can avoid risk / to risk / risking such diseases by choosing to eat healthy food.
Be careful though. Some people are convinced to do something for their health by live / to live / living on energy bars or cornflakes.
And this is what the advertising for these products wants to make us think / to think / thinking.
In reality, however, these foods are often heavily sugared / to give / giving / give them flavour.
But sugar is not mentioned as clearly as the low fat - that's why experts warn against to rely / relying / rely on the ads.
To live a healthy life, we ought / choose / to choose / choosing our food wisely.
We should eat regular meals and try finding / to find / find ways of exercising more.
Sunday, September 8, 2013
1. What platform does -------- train -------
------- ? York
d. the/ to/from
2. This is ------- uniform for ----- American Navy.
a. some / to
b. an / the
c. a / the
d. - / the
3. ----------- that really be Paula`s husband? He looks so young.
4. After a while, I got used ----------- in the country and even got ------------ .
a. to live / to like
b. live / like
c. to living / to like
d. to living / to liking
5. ----------- Virgin Islands are the western island group of ---------
a. The / -
b. - / the
c. The / the
d. - / -
a. The / the / a / a
b. - /the / - / a
c. The / - / a / a
d. - / a / a / a
7. ------------ Jungfrau is the third-highest mountain of ----------- Bernese Alps after the nearby
Aletschhorn, respectively 12 and 8 km away. Finsteraarhorn
a. The / -
b. The / the
c. - / -
d. The / a
8. ----- New York Times is ------- American daily newspaper, founded and continuously published in
September 18, 1851. New York City
a. The / a
b. The / -
c. - / an
d. The / an
9. They made me laugh.
a. I was made laughing.
b. I was made to laugh.
c. I was being made to laugh
d. I was being made laugh.
10. I asked her ---------- but she turned me ------ .
a. on / down
b. off / down
c. out / off
d. out / down
11. He won`t approve -------- the fact that his daughter made ---- her mind.
a. off / up
b. at / out
c. of / up
d. with / up
12. It was late when she finally showed ----- .
a. on b. up c. off d. in
13. As soon as I ---------- I will call you to tell you ---- latest news.
a. will reach / the
b. reach / the
c. will have reach / the
d. will have reached / a
14. Mom would surely disapprove ----- the fact that you decided to leave ----
a. to / to
b. off / for
c. of / for
d. with / for
15. Stress can often ------- a small problem into a crisis.
16. She's got two children: ----- girl and ---- boy. ---- girl's eight and ----- boy's fourteen.
a. a / a / The / the
b. the / the / The / a
c. a / a / A / a
d. - / - / The / the
17. ---- second half of ----- 20th century was marked by relative ---- peace and ---prosperity.
a. The / a / - / -
b. The / the / - / -
c. - / the / - / -
d. The / a / - / -