Welcome !

Welcome !

Sunday, June 4, 2023

Modal Verbs, Test 1

   

TEST  ON  MODALS
  1. It`s important for me to work on Saturdays.
  1. I must work on Saturdays.
  2. I need to work on Saturdays.
  3. I have to work on Saturdays.
  4. I should work on Saturdays.
  1. It`s advisable that I work on Saturdays.
a. I must work on Saturdays.
b. I should work on Saturdays.
c. I need to work on Saturdays.
d. I have to work on Saturdays.

  1. It`s absolutely necessary that I work on Saturdays.
a. I should work on Saturdays.
b. I must work on Saturdays.
c. I need to work on Saturdays.
d. I have to work on Saturdays.

  1. It`s not necessary that I work on Saturdays.
   a.I shouldn`t work on Saturdays.
b. I mustn`t work on Saturdays.
c.I needn`t  to work on Saturdays.
   d. I don`t have to work on Saturdays.

  1. It`s important for me to pass that exam.
    1. I need to pass that exam.
    2. I have to pass that exam.
    3. I should pass that exam.
    4. I might pass that exam.
  1. It`s forbidden to smoke in here.
    1. You shouldn`t smoke in here.
    2. You ought not smoke in here.
    3. You don`t have to smoke in here.
    4. You mustn`t smoke in here.
  1. It`s possible that he arrives tomorrow.
    1. He must arrive tomorrow.
    2. He has to arrive tomorrow.
    3. He would arrive tomorrow.
    4. He might arrive tomorrow.
  1. It`s not necessary that I go there.
    1. I mustn`t go there. b. I don`t have to go there.
    2. I shouldn`t go there.  c. I couldn`t go there.
  1. She is obliged to do that.
    1. She must do that.
    2. She has to do that.
    3. She should do that.
    4. She could do that.
  1. I was unable to swim when I was young.
    1. I didn`t use to swim when I was young.
    2. I  didn`t have to swim when I was young.
    3. I couldn`t swim when I was young.
    4. I shouldn`t have swum when I was young.
  1. She expects that you be there at 7 pm.
    1. You should be there at 7 pm.
    2. You must be there at 7 pm.
    3. You have to be there  at 7 pm.
    4. You could be there at 7 pm.
  1. There`s necessary to have a permit to enter the national park.
    1. You should have a permit to enter the national park.
    2. You must have a permit to enter the national park.
    3. You ought to have a permit to enter the national park.
    4.  You could have a permit to enter the national park.
  1. I used to swim in that lake when I was young.
    1. I could swim in that lake when I was young.
    2. I should have swum in that lake when I was young.
    3. I would swim in that lake when I was young.
    4. I must have swum in that lake when I was young.
  1. I suppose she is in California before 9:30.
    1. She might be in California before 9:30.
    2. She must be in California before 9:30.
    3. She can be in California before 9:30.
    4. She should be in California before 9:30.
  1. He surely is our landlord; I would recognize him anywhere.
    1. He should be our landlord.
    2. He might be our landlord.
    3. He may be our landlord.
    4. He must be our landlord.
   16. He says she may go.
  1. He says she is able to go.
  2. He says she is allowed to go.
  3. He says she can go.
  4. He says she might go.
17.Which of the following is most polite and which is most formal?

a. Can I have some water, please?
b. Could I have some water, please?
c. Might I have some water, please?
d. May I have some water, please?

18. Which is correct?
a. I`d rather you go accompanied than alone.
b. I`d rather you would go accompanied than alone.
c. I`d rather you will go accompanied than alone.
d. I`d rather you went accompanied than alone.

19. Nu se poate sa fi facut o asememnea greseala.

a. He mustn`t have made such a mistake.
b. He can`t have made such a mistake.
c. He shouldn`t have made such a mistake.
d. He wouldn`t have made such a mistake.

20. Nu se poate/ Este imposibil sa faca o asemenea greseala.

a. He may not make such a mistake.
b. He can`t make such a mistake.
c. He shouldn`t make such a mistake.
d. He must not make such a mistake.

21. Cred ca probabil am fost putin cam dur cu ea cand a intarziat o ora.

a. I guess I may have been a bit hard on her when she came home an hour late.
b. I guess I can have been a bit hard on her when she came home an hour late.
c. I guess I must have been a bit hard on her when she came home an hour late.
d. I guess I should have been a bit hard on her when she came home an hour late.

22. N-ar fi trebuit sa cumperi bilete pentru spectacol. Le-am cumparat eu deja.

a. You shouldn`t have bought the tickets for the show. I have already bought the.
b. You mustn`t have bought the tickets for the show. I have already bought them.
c. You needn`t have bought the tickets for the show. I have already bought them.
d. You wouldn`t have bought the tickets for the show. I have already bought them.